Dentures are prosthetic devices that are designed to replace missing teeth and help improve a person’s ability to speak, eat, and smile with confidence. However, like any other appliance, they may require repair due to normal wear and tear, accidental damage, or improper care. MAK Dental acknowledges the significance of optimal denture function in preserving oral health. As a devoted dental clinic, we offer superior denture repair services to our patients to guarantee the maintenance of their oral well-being. Presented below are some of the indications that suggest the need for denture repair.
Signs that your dentures need repair
There are several signs that your dentures need repair, including:
- Chipping, cracking, or breaking of the denture
- Loose or ill-fitting dentures
- Sore spots or irritation in the mouth
- Difficulty chewing or speaking
- Changes in the fit or shape of the denture
- If you notice any of these signs, it’s essential to contact your dentist or denture technician immediately for repair.
The importance of professional denture repair
While it may be tempting to try and fix your dentures at home, it’s crucial to seek professional help instead. Professional denture repair is essential to ensure the appliance is restored to its original function and fit. Trying to fix the denture yourself may result in further damage or improper fit, which can cause discomfort and even lead to more severe oral health problems.
Understanding the Process of Repairing Dentures
The denture repair process can vary depending on the type of damage and the extent of the repair needed. Here is a general overview of what you can expect during the denture repair process:
- Assessment: The first step in the denture repair process is an assessment of the damage. Your dentist or denture technician will examine your dentures to determine the best course of action.
- Repair Plan: Based on the assessment, a repair plan will be created. The plan will outline the repairs needed and the estimated timeline for the repair process.
- Repair: The repair process can vary depending on the type of damage. Some repairs, such as replacing a missing tooth, can be completed on the same day. Other repairs, such as fixing a crack, may require more time.
- Testing: Once the repair is complete, your dentist or denture technician will test the denture to ensure it fits properly and functions correctly.
- Adjustment: If necessary, adjustments may be made to the denture to improve fit and comfort.
- Final Check: Before returning the denture to you, a final check will be performed to ensure it meets all the requirements.
It’s important to note that the denture repair process may take several days, depending on the extent of the damage and the repair needed. In some cases, a temporary solution may be provided while the denture is being repaired. Be sure to follow all care instructions provided by your dentist or denture technician to ensure your dentures are restored to their proper function and fit.
How to care for your dentures
Proper denture care is vital in preserving denture function and prolonging its lifespan. Here are some essential tips for effective denture care:
Firstly, clean your dentures daily with a denture brush and mild soap or denture cleaner to remove plaque and debris. And then, rinse your dentures after eating to prevent the accumulation of food particles and debris that may lead to staining or unpleasant odors.
After that, soak your dentures overnight in a denture-cleaning solution to eliminate any bacteria or stains that regular cleaning may have missed. Followed by that, handle your dentures with care to avoid causing any damage, as dentures are fragile and require gentle handling to prevent cracks or chips.
Finally, visit your dentist or denture technician regularly for check-ups and adjustments. They can assess the fit of your dentures, identify any potential issues, and make any necessary adjustments to ensure optimal function. By adhering to these guidelines, patients can avoid the need for a denture repair and extend the lifespan of their dentures, ultimately promoting overall oral health.
Ensuring timely denture repair is imperative for preserving oral health and increasing denture longevity. Promptly contacting a qualified dentist or denture technician to address any damage is essential. Consistent care, including regular cleaning, careful handling, and routine check-ups, can also reduce the likelihood of requiring future repairs. If you looking to repair your Dentures in Edmonton, do not hesitate to contact MAK Dental. Our Dental practitioners can guarantee functional dentures that provide comfort over an extended period.